First step into hard core birding

As I begun to visit my birding patch more and more, I soon discovered the potential of this spot.
On the facebook group, "Birds of Pakistan" which from now on I would to  referring to as "BOP" from now on, I got to know of a birder based in Karachi.
His name, Mirza Naim Beg...I had no idea he was going to be a mentor to me from then onwards.
The man...

 



He posted a picture for ID on the group of some waders. He suggested they were Little stints.
I checked it on google and god forbid, I wrote,
" Little stints appear red and are not found in Pakistan"
Yes, I was that stupid.

We then talked in messages and I managed to get him to do birding at Hawksbay, my birding patch. It was October 7, 2017.
He asked me to wear a soft colored, camo shirt and what I wore was neither soft nor camo :) .
I went along with my father, He picked us up near a busy road. He was there with another birder, more of a professional photographer actually.

We did some birding along the seashore. There were numerous juvenile and sub-adult Brahminy kites which I readily ID-ed as "Some kind of harriers". I had no camera back then but fortunately had bought Panda monocular and a tele attachment to take pictures with my camera.




 We came across some flocks of Black winged stilts  in small pools along with several Western reed egrets and a female Siberian Stonechat. I took some really crappy shots of both. All in all, it was a fun trip and was my first step into hard-core birding world.









 Female Siberian Stonechat on the left,
 Western reef egret on the right and a White wagtail be

Comments

Popular Posts